Instructors currently certified and in good standing with another agency can cross over and become SEI Instructors by completing the Instructor Crossover Institute. A portion of the institute is dedicated to giving the candidates an appreciation of the philosophies of SEI. The Instructor Trainer, through testing and evaluation, ensures that the candidate will be a credit to our program.
- 18 years of age or older.
- Medical exam with physician's approval. The medical exam must be for scuba diving and completed less than one year prior to the beginning of the Crossover Institute.
- Statement of Understanding/Waiver & Release completed and signed.
- Hold an SEI DRAM certification or nationally recognized dive rescue certification.
- Active teaching status, Instructor with a recognized scuba certification agency with no verified quality assurance complaints.
- Have logged a minimum of 100 scuba dives. An up-to-date logbook must be presented by the candidate.
- Hold current certification in each of the following:
- First Aid (NSC, ARC, AHA, ASHI or equivalent).
- CPR (NSC, AHA, ARC, ASHI or equivalent) at Health Care Provider/Professional Rescuer level.
- Oxygen Provider (DAN or equivalent).
- To be considered for any SEI Program Leadership certification, the candidate/student must not have any standards violations or have been dismissed from the SEI Program or any other SCUBA certification agency. This prerequisite may be waived with written permission from the SEI Regional Representative and SEI CEO prior to training.
In addition to the above prerequisites, Instructor and Crossover Instructor candidates must have the following materials with the latest revisions:
- SEI Standards and Procedures Manual.
- SEI Open Water Diver Instructor Guide.
- SEI DRAM (Diver Rescue Diver and Accident Management) Manual.
- SEI Leadership Preparation Manual.
- SEI Air Diving Tables.
- Diving Fundamentals for Leadership (the text for SEI leadership training)